Friday, May 30, 2014

May is National Foster Care Month

Last month I was honored to have an article written about me and my Lexy's story in the local part of the Tampa Tribune called The South Shore News. It was a sweet article that made me sound good (by the talented and kind Lois Kindle) and a picture that made me look good (by my friend Amy with Abandoned Photography) and I am grateful to Lois for writing it and all the love that has come from it.  The truth is I am a very small fish in a huge ocean of people who help children.  I know some seriously extraordinary people in the lives of abused, abandoned and neglected children that deserve an article written about the way more then I do.  Families that foster older children and teens, sibling groups and continue to open their hearts and homes over and over after heartbreak and loss.  Guardian ad litems that do not get paid a dime but devote their lives insuring these children's best interest is heard in court.  Foster moms that created and organize clothing closets for foster families and children as well as have a home full of foster children.  The list goes on and on!!

May is National Foster Care month, so it gives me a good excuse to step back up on my soap box.  Listen you don't have to be extraordinary to foster.  You don't have to make a lot of money, be married, live in a big house, be a certain gender, race or religion. The truth is I live in a small home on a postage stamp lot, I am separated and in the process of a divorce, my finances are tight and have lupus. Really all you need is love.

http://tbo.com/south-shore/riverview-foster-mom-gives-children-a-loving-start-20140416/





No comments:

Post a Comment