Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Court today

I am so glad I was able to attend court today.  All parties were present and everyone (except the state’s attorney) was still pretty much in agreement with reunification with dad.  The case was presented before the judge and the state’s attorney stated her case against the dad.  They were scheduling the hearing for next month when the case worker spoke up and said we are recommending reunification with the father.  Everyone stopped in their tracks.  She explained that he was a fit parent and pointed to me and explained that I was willing to be a support to him.  The judge made lots of eye contact and nonverbal communication with me and baby Jay.  I gave as many signs of approval and support I could. I finally spoke up and said I believe him to be a good father and see no reason that he should not have his baby.  So she ordered that the state (as they see fit) to reunify baby Jay with his daddy.  As everyone in the court room stood up Jay shouted “yeah” everyone laughed and even though know he did not know what he was doing…. it was all the sign I needed that the right decision for our baby.

 The mom on the other has not completed any of her case plan (the dad has done everything asked of him and more) because her attorney advised her not to, but today she was fighting with her attorney.  She was angry and short with the judge.  All I have seen from her is anger and resentment.  I just want to shake her and say wake up!!  Let go of the hate and get your baby back.  I believe she can be a good mom.

The judge made the father swear that he would not allow the mother to have any contact with Jay. She firmly told him that if he went against this order that Jay would be taken away again and it would be harder for him to get his baby back next time.  The worker on the case only lives 5 minutes away from the dad and said she will be doing unannounced visits. I am not sure if they will be compliant with the judge’s orders. The worker knows that if he returns to care we will take him back.

The case workers supervisor thanked me for coming and told me it made all the difference me being there.  She said it is rare for all parties to be there and on the same page.  To give our family time to say good-by and get his things together she offered to give us until Friday, but the dad came over and said sometime next week would be good, that way he will have time to get daycare set up for him.  I could see in his eyes that he was just trying to give us a little more time. 

I can’t say it is easy and we are not going to miss this little guy so much but I feel confident that the right decision has been made in his behalf.  We get to love on him one more week and I am grateful. 

My adorable salty crew!

We had a fantastic Halloween.  We participated in local trunks of treats, went to the pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins and went trick or treating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment