Friday, May 25, 2012

Fun Friday


The kids and I got up and began our normal routine of watering the garden, and checking on our stuff that is growing.  Our first surprise was that one of our lizard eggs that we gathered out of some of my potting soil had hatched.  It is so fun to have babies, so we admired him for a bit then released him in the garden.  He was so tiny and cute.  


Black Widow living in my lavender
We checked on our “pet” banana spider that has spun a beautiful web on our side window.  Then when watering my lavender plant I noticed what I thought was a cocoon, so I pulled the branches apart to show the kids and out crawled a black widow spider.  I caught her in a net then put her in a clear bag, and got on google to make sure I was correct.  What I though was a cocoon was actually her egg sacs.  Next was the teaching moment with the kids…. the difference between our banana spider and the black widow, and how it is best not to touch any spiders or wildlife without an adult.

Pet banana spider
Lexy also found a big grasshopper (about 2 inches long) in her room today.  She was not happy about it either.  We have had a lot of exciting life lessons today.

We met a couple of girlfriends for lunch this afternoon, and then brought them home with us to show off all of our creatures.  Robena could not get enough of our nature, but Jennifer was less than thrilled about our spider population. It was a lovely afternoon with lots of bonding, and the kids were very well behaved.  They made me proud as usual.


I am also over due for a general family update…..

Since turning off the tube (and electronics) and getting past the first week of withdraws, I have noticed big changes in the kids.  The first week was more fighting, because they had to interact.  Now they are using their imagination, problem solving and just simply playing more.  It is so fun to listen to them.  I only wish I had cut it off sooner!
Walk Team!

My first ever lupus walk last week was amazing!  I way exceeded my original goal of $250 with $1025.  I placed 5th place in personal fundraising, and my support group team placed first.  All of my team members also had lupus and despite our pain and challenges we showed everyone that we are “Colorful & Courageous” which was our team name.  We had a brightly colored table with butterfly nick-knacks, hand-made crafts and snacks that made an additional $100 for the cause. We had fun, made new friends and raised a lot of money.






The kids and I also spent an afternoon at Orange Blossom Jamboree Music Festival this past weekend.  It is a fun, family friendly festival, which we enjoy!!  We saw lots of friends and played in nature.  We did not have long so we did not see much music, but it was a fun afternoon no less.  There is lots of love under those oak trees.

1 comment:

  1. I am not afraid of spiders, but a black widow?! I would have to kill it and the eggs for sure. I usually relocate all creatures outside, but not that. I would have been afraid to even catch it in a net. You are brave. Although it is good that the kids can now identify one.

    ReplyDelete