Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Roller coaster

Since my lupus diagnoses I have had quite a ride. Being sick for so long my initial reaction was relief almost happy (sounds crazy I know). I was almost convinced that it was all in my head, and believed that is what everyone else thought. I accepted the diagnosis and began taking an anti-malaria drug exactly as prescribed and completely expected to come home and begin feeling better. I just wanted to go back to my “normal”.

Well it hasn’t exactly worked out as I planned. I have only been getting sicker, more afraid and angry. I constantly run a fever, migraines, aches, pains, dizziness, hives, joint chest and stomach pain just touches the surface of my daily struggles. Along with all this, there is this constant nagging worry that it is damaging my organs. It is an indescribable feeling of having your body battle itself. I feel more isolated and alone than I ever have in my life. I have started to meet people that are lupie too, in hopes that these connections will help me feel not so alone in this struggle. I know it sounds so selfish (I know it could be worse) but this is not my cause. This is not what I want to deal with on a daily basis, not what I want to spend my time and energy learning about. I had a different calling, a different purpose and path. It has been explained to me that there are stages of emotions you go through after a diagnosis of a chronic illness…. Clearly I am still stuck in denial and anger. Hope it passes quickly!

Now about the study drug: Since my condition is getting worse my doctor (that I still love) suggested that I apply to try a new study drug. Reading the drug the side effects scared me, but so does the disease. Mom and I attended my first appointment and thankfully found hope and encouragement. The drug is an injectable immune suppressor, but it is more targeted at lupus. I am still in the beginning stages of qualifying and hopeful that I get accepted. The study can last 2 years and I have a 2/3 (that’s better than not) chance of actually getting the medication, and there is an extended study that can last up to 6 years. I can continue with the anti-malaria medication I have already started. This is all good news!! The last drug approved for lupus was in the 50’s (besides Benlysta that costs $36,000 a year and was just approved weeks ago) and it is the anti-malaria drug I am on. The other major benefits of being in the study are having all labs, medications and dr. appointments covered. Our family is in a scary time with our health insurance or lack of right now, so all that is huge. I will also have an extra doctor watching my condition. The nurse that is in charge of the study and kind, understanding and available!! The drugs that are on the horizon are more specific to lupus and autoimmune diseases. They are just making some new ground in these medication and I am hopeful to be apart of it.
I draw strength from the love, prayers, thoughts, notes, and energy being sent my way. I know I am blessed and hope to be back in the light soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment