Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Another sweet little boy


Baby K
                                                                                             
 I have to admit after baby K went to his family, I was quite exhausted and had several days of not feeling well.  Getting up every three hours (or so) was harder on me (since Lupus) than I thought.  We loved having him and he really was a sweet baby, but I did not realize how tired I was.  I have always had the ability to push through and do what I have to do (even find joy in it), but then when the job is done I crash.  This was not nearly as bad as it has been in the past, so I will take the improvement.  I am still struggling to find that balance.


Waiting on the parade

                                                                          We had a great fourth with my family. It started with going to the parade in Brandon, swimming at Grandmas, BBQ at Uncle Mike’s, a neighborhood baseball game and ended with Monty doing a small but super cool fireworks show in the front yard.






Friday morning the kids and I went our favorite park with a nature trail.  We saw tons of wildlife…. 4 gopher tortoises, a baby armadillo, the tale of a black snake and mosquitos the size of small birds.  It was very hot and buggy, but so fun.

Friday afternoon placement started calling me for kids.  The first one was a 15 month old little boy with scabies they needed to place temporally until his 4 month old sister was released from the hospital for severe neglect.  He had spent the previous night in another foster home, but for some unknown reason was being moved.  I called my friend Karen (also a foster mom) just to ask her if she had any experience with scabies and she already knew the story.  She inquired why she was moving him because her friend (a different foster mom- that on that had him the night before) was willing to keep him until the permanent placement was found for the siblings together.  I talked the foster mom that had him to get some information on the little guy.  She shared how he was scared through the night, she had to sleep on the couch beside him to reassure him, and she also confirmed that she was willing to keep him.  I called placement back and questioned why on earth they were moving him.  I expressed my willingness to help, but refused to enable the dysfunction.  Thankfully he went back to that home did not have to adjust to another family.  I knew by talking to the foster mom he is in wonderful hands and right where he needed to stay.

Later that afternoon I got a call for an 8 month old little girl, but they quickly found permanent placement and did not need us. I was relieved I felt the need to take it easy anyway.

Monty took us to the flea market Saturday.  It is never as good as I think it will be and it was so very hot.  We had fun anyway and managed to find a few treasures.  Saturday afternoon I had a great relaxing evening with a friend.  We had dinner at the Spaghetti Warehouse, and strolled around IKEA, while Monty stayed with the kids.

Saturday night at 11pm placement called again this time with a 19 month old little girl (or so they said), from a sibling group of 8, (the youngest being 1 month and the oldest 9 years old) which were taken for physical abuse.  Foster homes were already found for 6 of them, and the 5 year old was in the hospital for the abuse.  I initially said no because it was late and I knew it would be at least another hour before they got here.  I hung up shared the detail with Monty, we discussed how it was the exact age Lexy was when we got her.  I did not ignore the voice inside (I am still listening) within minutes I called back and agreed.  Turns out she was actually a 21 month old little boy, which did not matter to us at all really.  He did not arrive until 4am!!  I was feeling overwhelmed the hours befor he arrived thinking maybe I was taking on too much right now.  He slipped right into bed and slept until 10:30am the next morning.  Lexy and Rayne got up and did not even know he was here until after they had breakfast.  What a surprise for them, every time placement calls they beg for me to say yes.  He is a sweet, quiet little man, but has already made a big mark on our hearts. It seems like kids that come from big sibling groups adjust very quickly to our home, they like all the attention.  I am not sure how long we will have him.  He has a visit scheduled with his mom and dad tomorrow.  The CPI called today and told me that the mother has still not been arrested for the abuse, the siblings have 3 different dads and some will go with their fathers, but our little guy’s dad is not an option because he has a big arrest record.  So far there has been no other family step up to take him.  I think they will see which of the siblings stay in the system then try to move them to a foster home together.  What a mess!!
Our new little man

We have just recently shared with Lexy the details of her story.  She has always known she was adopted, and that we choose her.  We told her she grew in our hearts, she was our first baby and the day she came was one of the best days of our lives.  We did not share the parts about another mom and dad not being able to take care of her.  We wanted to wait until she was mature enough to understand it.  With the recent foster children coming into our home we explain each of their stories and our responsibly as a family to take care of them.  She so “gets it” and was ready.  Monty explained how the police dropped her off (after being released from the hospital) like the other children that come, and how super excited we were that she was here.  She asked briefly about her mom and asked if she was in heaven.  We explained that she wasn’t but she could not keep her safe.  I have thought hours about how this conversation would go and she was hardly moved at all.  She had very little reaction and the subject quickly moved on to if she had to if she could have seconds for dinner.  Rayne on the other hand was mad that a police officer did not bring him. 

Everywhere we go Rayne proudly announces that he has a new baby and that he is the big brother. The kids are very proud of our babies, not only because they are super cute, but I also think they have a deeper understanding that they are making a difference.  They are really a big help and take their roles as big brother and sister pretty serious considering their ages.  I know I have shared this many times, but I am so proud of them!!



"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do the something I can do." Helen Keller

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! and Rayne is just too funny, his comment gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete