Monday, October 29, 2012

Sunny Day Lesko-Gary

After a long painful weekend, Rayne and I took Sunny in to the vet this morning to stop his suffering.  As many of you already know he was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago and I had been giving him insulin shots twice a day.  He was doing okay, but never really back to his “normal” self.  Thursday evening he began throwing up but after a call to the vet Friday we chucked it up to a recent change in his diet. By Friday night he totally stopped eating. His condition very quickly took a turn for the worse and Saturday he could just take a few steps and fall.  We did not expect him to survive through the night Saturday.  I spent as much time with him as I could with three kids in the house.  I made him as comfortable as possible and slept with him Sunday night. The kids and I had lots of time to say good-bye, prepared a box and found the perfect spot for him in the garden.  I was hoping that he would peacefully die at home, but he just kept holding on.  So this morning Lexy said her last good-bye and stayed home to help Monty with the baby and Rayne and I took him in.

The vet was expecting us and ready when we got there, before the doctor came in with the medication my dad (I didn't know was coming) came in.  He peacefully went to sleep and did not have to fight to hang on for us any longer.  He gave us the time we needed to say good-bye. We brought him home and prepared him in his box.  Lexy put in the pictures she colored for him, a couple of his toys and one last kiss.  The kids and I walked out to put him in the hole (my neighbor dug for me Saturday) just as my brother pulled up to help burry him. 

Daddy called this afternoon to check on me and I was replaying the chain of event and telling him I just wish I wouldn’t have held on so long I wish I had taken him in on Friday and that I am sorry that he suffered for as long as he did. My dad in all his wisdom told me that the timing was perfect and had I taken him in on Friday I may have always wondered if he would have been able to get better. There is an immense pain and loneliness in making the choice to end the life of something you love so much. My dad is so right and I am thankful for his words and presence that brought me so much comfort today. 


 I rescued Sunny when I came home from collage. He was my first pet when I moved out on my own.  He loved me at my very worst and through some challenging days.Thankfully he never held a grudge about a dirty litter box. He reluctantly accepted my husband and two other cats I drug home.  He fell in love with my daughter (she loved him too) and helped her feel safe and loved at bedtime.  He was entertaining and so colorful.  He preferred women and rarely warmed up to men.  He often sported dreadlocks, had a wide ribcage and a lot of fluff. He only had one ear because he had cancer. He was my perfect companion and there when I needed one the most. I’m gonna miss my boy!!
 
Today I am thankfully for….

12 years with the best cat ever
My dad his wisdom and support
A big brother that is always around the corner
Good neighbors
Sensitive and loving kids
Perfect timing!






 

1 comment: